RAF College Cranwell

RAF College Hall, Cranwell

RAF College Hall, Cranwell

In 1922, it was decided that the wartime Naval huts should be replaced by permanent college buildings. To save time and money, the task of designing the new college was given to the Ministry of Works. The plans received were extremely disappointing, so the architect, James West was taken to visit Wren's Royal Hospital in Chelsea and the new design reflected this influence. The result is the Cranwell of today which so gracefully reflects the best of Wren's ideas.

This prestigious building, known as College Hall, was completed in September 1933 at a cost of £321,000. The building was officially opened by His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII, in October 1934. In front of the College is its parade ground and a large circle of grass known as the Orange, where graduation ceremonies are still held today.