BARDNEY TIMELINE

A brief outline of the chronological major events throughout the history of our village.

PALAEOLITHIC PERIOD (>12,000BC)

  • A mini Ice Age spreads over the country - almost to London. Bardney would be covered with ice.

MESOLITHIC PERIOD (8,000-4,000BC)

NEOLITHIC PERIOD (4,000-2,200BC)

  • During this period great forests evolved. The whole of the local fen was under tidal salt water. Bardney sat on a small island, slightly raised above the water line.
  • 3,500BC (approximately) The forests were naturally felled, due to the root systems being choked and rotting in the wet conditions, creating, what we know today, as 'Bog Oaks'. (This is a generic term for all the fallen trees laid in the fens).

BRONZE AGE (2,200-800BC)

  • The peat in the fen was formed in this period. As sea levels rose the marshes were created.

IRON AGE (800BC-43AD)

 

ROMAN PERIOD (AD43-410)

  • It is said that Bardney was occupied by the Romans for the purpose of commanding the waterways to their colony in Lincoln.
  • Evidence of Roman occupation has been found in the Bardney area. Numerous artefacts have been retrieved from the river and the land. They built the Car Dyke, which flows from Peterborough to Lincoln.

EARLY MEDIEVAL (AD410-1066)

  • 642 King Oswald was killed in battle.
  • 675 Bardney Monastery was founded by Ethelred (King of Mercia) and his wife, Osthryd, to house the remains of King Oswald (excluding the head and arms). His head went to Lindisfarne and his arms to Bamburgh.
  • 870 It is believed that Bardney's first monastery was destroyed by the Viking raiders.
  • 913 St Oswald’s remains were moved to Gloucester for safe keeping.

LATE MEDIEVAL (AD1066-1500)

  • 1086 extract from the Domesday Book:  "In Bardney, Ulfr had 2 carucates of land taxable. Land for three ploughs. Gilbert has 1 plough, 16 villages, 5 smallholders and 6 Freemen with 2 ploughs. 1 mill, 8s; 5 fisheries, 5s 4d; meadow, 20 acres; woodland pasture, 500 acres. Value before 1066 and now £20. Exactions £30."
  • 1087 The new Benedictine Abbey was re-founded by Gilbert de Gaunt
  • 1100 Abbey was re-constructed by Bishop Remigius and Gilbert de Gaunt (Earl of London) in the 11th century.
  • 1232 Bardney was granted a charter for a Thursday Market on 20th  January.
  • 1348 The Plague (Black Death) was in Bardney. 17 persons died.
  • 1406 Henry IV (1367-1413) visited the Abbey.
  • 1434 St Lawrence Church was built on its current site, replacing the existing parish church at the Abbey site.

EARLY MODERN (AD1500-1750)

  • 1508 Richard de Horncastle, Abbot of Bardney, was buried in the church. An incised slab, commemorating his death, is placed in the church.
  • 1536 King Henry V111 threatened the Abbey with closure. In October the Lincolnshire Rising took place. This was a local rebellion against this threat.
  • 1537 Six Bardney monks were hanged, drawn and quartered, in Lincoln, for being implicated in Lincolnshire Rising.
  • 1538 Bardney Abbey was dissolved. All the land was passed on to Sir Robert Tyrwhitt, who built a house there, using the stone from the abbey buildings.
  • 1563 The Parish contained 100 households in Bardney, 52 in Southrey and 21 in Stainfield.
  • 1711 Thomas Kitching died. His Will instructed the setting up of the Kitchings Charity.
  • 1712 Bardney Almshouses were built.
  • 1714 Bardney Ferry came into existence.
  • 1718 Browne Willis surveyed the abbey site and noted that all the buildings, including Sir Robert Tyrwhitt’s house, had gone except for a small part of the Gatehouse.
  • 1777-1787 25,000 acres of the Witham Fens were drained and enclosed.

INDUSTRIAL AGE (AD 1750-1900)

  • 1809 The first Methodist Chapel was on Station Road (around No.37).
  • 1812 A plan to widen and improve the River Witham was commenced. 
  • 1812 Work started on building Bardney Lock.
  • 1815 On Friday 5th May, a Riot took place when a number of irate navvies went on a drunken brawl in the village over the price of bread and other necessaries.(see Law & Order)
  • 1824 The village was mapped by the early Ordnance Survey. It is worth noting that Bardney Ferry is separate from the main village (This may account for the local expressions 'Down Ferry' and 'Up Town'?). The second Windmill is shown on Abbey Road.
1824 cassini map

1824 Cassini Map

  • 1837 The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built.
  • 1839 The second mill, sited on Abbey Lane, was demolished and a new six-sailed one, in Mill Yard was built, by Mr William Green. He also used a steam engine to maintain his business on wind-free days.
  • 1843 The Kitching's Charity School was built by the village green.
  • 1846 The wooden church steeple was deemed as unsafe, so it was taken down.
  • 1848 The main railway system was brought through Bardney. It opened on 17th October 1848.
  • 1848 As part of the rail network, a railway bridge was built over the River Witham, at Horsley Deeps. It was the longest timber bridge to be built on the GNR line, spanning 729 yards, until 1860, when it was replaced by a metal one.
  • 1856 The Granary of Bardney Hall, belonging to Mr J Sharpe,  caught fire.
  • 1858 The Primitive Methodists built a church on Wragby Road.
  • 1859 The Wesleyan Day school was opened on 29th December.
  • 1862 On September 10th, a public meeting was held in the Angel Inn, to discuss the supply of gas to the village.
  • 1863 The Gas Work and Gas House was built for the “Bardney Gas Light & Coke Company”. The Parish Church was lit up using new gas lamps. The locals were charged a three farthing levy, for this facility.
  • 1865 Bardney Lock was refurbished.
  • 1866 A severe outbreak of Rinderpest (Viral infection) occurred, killing many local cattle.
  • 1873 Church Lane was extended to meet the High Street (Station Road).
  • 1876 The Bardney - Louth railway line opened on 28th June.
  • 1878 Restoration of the Church finished. It was re-opened by the Bishop of Lincoln on 27th June.
  • 1893 The River Witham froze over for several weeks, due to very sharp and lengthy frosts. 
  • 1894 The Ferry across the River Witham succumbs to the technological advances of an iron bridge. It is believed that the ferry has existed here since 1714. It was opened for traffic on 9th October and the official opening was on 10th November.
  • 1896 The Bardney Cooperative Store – Number 11 was opened.
  • 1898 Some of stones from Bardney Abbey were incorporated into the concrete foundations of Southrey Church. 

MODERN PERIOD (AD1900-2010)

  • 1900 (Circa) The Bardney Gas Light and Coke Company goes bankrupt. 
  • 1903 The Bardney Water Tower was built, to supply local fresh water.
  • 1906 The street names were changed (i.e. Abbey Lane to Abbey Road, etc.).
  • 1909 The Reverend Charles E Laing led a team of persons to excavate the Abbey ruins from 1909-1914.
  • 1909 The cemetery extension was officially opened by Mr Everton on 22nd October.
  • 1911 All local schools closed from 19th -23rd June, for the Coronation of King George V.
  • 1920 The unveiling ceremony of the War Memorial was held on 19th January.
  • 1921 A Rural Pupil Teacher Centre was opened in the old Salvation Army Hall.
  • 1922 Harold Brakspear published a report of the Abbey excavations. The extension cemetery and Lych-gate were formally opened on 22nd October.
  • 1926 Tom Crowder published a local booklet entitled "The History of Bardney Village".
  • 1927 The Sugar Beet Factory was built. Excavations started on 1st February 1927 and it was fully operational in October.
  • 1933 The Abbey excavations were covered up to prevent further deterioration.
  • 1934 Celebrations took place to commemorate St Lawrence's 500th birthday. Arthur Willett, from Wragby Road, painted part of the church Sanctuary, with Bible scenes and Saints on the walls and text around the top.
  • 1934 Messrs. A W Foster and Co. Ltd. took over Sharpe's old warehouse, as a Pea Cannery.
  • 1935 The old Workhouse was sold and the proceeds of £4k was used to provide street lighting in the village.
  • 1937 A Royal Observer Corps post was set up on Horncastle Road.
  • 1938 A new ‘mains water supply’ was pumped into the village.
  • 1939 The new vicarage was built on Church Lane.
  • 1943 Bardney airfield was opened on 14th April.
  • 1943 The six sails of the windmill were removed to allow the Lancasters to take-off and land.
  • 1945 The airfield closed as active base, but continued as rocket station until 1963.
  • 1946 The Roman Catholic Church was built on Station Road.
  • 1946 The village held an all-day fete, with raffles, tombolas, dance, etc. All the local Sports Clubs took part (i.e Cricket, Football, Tennis, Hockey, etc.). £1,600 was raised and the money was used to purchase the existing Playing Field, on Horncastle Road.
  • 1946 Bardney Billiard Club was re-located from the Reading Rooms, Station Road to Silver Street, on 11th October.
  • 1948/9 The Lea Grove housing estate was built.
  • 1951 463 households were recorded in the 1951 Census.
  • 1951 The names of 8 Bardney men, killed in WWII were added to the War Memorial on 3rd June. Over 1,000 people attended the ceremony.
  • 1951 Louth railway passenger services closed on Saturday 3rd November. (Reference Alf Ludlam book - page 44)
  • 1960 Louth line freight service finished on 1st February.
  • 1961 The 'Poor Houses', on Silver Street, were demolished.
  • 1964 The two Schools merged to form Bardney C of E Primary School.
  • 1966 Bardney Parish Church receives a Grade I listing.
  • 1970 Bardney Station passenger traffic closed.
  • 1971 579 households were recorded.
  • 1971 British Rail freight service was closed on the railway on 5th April 1971, with the exception of a line to the Sugar Beet Factory.
  • 1972 On Whitsun weekend, (27-29th May) a mammoth Pop Festival was held at Tupholme Hall grounds. It attracted over 30,000 people.
  • 1973 The Original Methodist Chapel, on Church lane was demolished, due to intensive dry rot.
  • 1973 The Reverend Peter Clarke was instrumental in setting up the Association of the Friends of Bardney Abbey.
  • 1973 The north-facing church clock was illuminated.
  • 1974 Bardney Abbey site was put into the care of Jew's Court Trust.
  • 1975 Two rare 17th century Charity Boards were restored in the church, with the aid of grants from the Council of Places of Worship and the Radcliffe Trust. The work was undertaken by Miss Anna Hulbert B.A.
  • 1977 A local museum was opened in the old School House in October, by the Association of the Friends of Bardney Abbey.
  • 1980 A memorial, dedicated to 9 Squadron was erected on the village green in October.
  • 1981 667 households were recorded.
  • 1981 Lincoln main line closed to the sugar beet factory in January. British Sugar purchased all the sidings and all the tracks were removed by 1983.
  • 1983 A new School was built on Henry Lane. It opened in July.
  • 1984 The old Wesleyan School was converted into three industrial units.
  • 1992 The ROC post was demolished by Fox Plant (Owmby).
  • 1993 A fifty-year celebration  took place, on 14th April, to commemorate the 50 years since Bardney Airfield opened and to celebrate the successes of IX Squadron. 
  • 1994 The Canning factory, originally John Morrell & Co., latterly belonging to Spiller Dalgety closed with the loss of 200 jobs.
  • 1994 The village library, on Station Road, was closed, with a mobile one set up to replace it.
  • 1995 The first highly successful first Xmas Market was held on the Village Green and Church Lane.
  • 1999 The Bardney Group Parish Council presented a free Millenium Calendar to every household, to celebrate the new century.
  • 2001 The Sugar Beet Factory ceased processing sugar beet. 62 full-time employees were made redundant. All employees finished on 9th February. The Silver Spoon Packaging Plant and Liquid Sugar operations continue.
  • 2001 Lincsgran Sports & Welfare Club ceased trading on 15th September
  • 2002 The Horncastle Road burial site was extended.
  • 2002 The Goods Shed was purchased by local residents (Barry Newlove & Lynn Goforth) and subjected to major renovation, in conjunction with English Heritage. The building will be a private dwelling.
  • 2003 A new Surgery was built on Horncastle Road – managed by the Woodhall Spa circuit.
  • 2004 Construction of 59 new homes was started, next to the surgery. Chestnut Homes carry out the work, over a two-year period.
  • 2005 The Methodist Hall has new entrance and toilet facilities added.
  • 2006 The Nags Head public house reopens for business after a major refurbishment.
  • 2006 The Water Railway Cycle track opens from Lincoln to Bardney. (Lincoln to Bardney in July, and Bardney to Southrey in December).
  • 2007 Planning was authorised for an additional 85 houses to be built on adjacent land to the Manor Farm site. (see 2004)
  • 2008 99 new houses to be built on land to the east of Wragby Road – on the old Garden Centre. Work stops during August due to the recession (Kier Homes).
  • 2008  The formal opening of Bardney Heritage Centre was on 8th June.
  • 2008 Work stopped on building development on the Horncastle Road site. (Chestnut Homes)
  • 2008 The official unveiling of the Village Signs was held on November 1st at 14-00hrs. A total of six signs were erected in the village.
  • 2009 The Gypsy Queen ceased trading as a Public House on 4th April.
  • 2009 A new Fire Station was built on the Trading Estate. The village Fire Brigade move in on Tuesday 30th June and the official opening was held on 14th October. The Parish Council take up residence in the Fire Station, on 1st September.
  • 2009 Chestnut Homes resume works on Manor Farm site, on Horncastle Road.
  • 2009 The Lych Gate signs were erected on 6th July.
  • 2009 In conjunction with the Jew's Court Trust, four investigative pits were dug on the Abbey site, to ascertain the condition of the stonework, on 23-25th November.
  • 2010 A new bus shelter was constructed, next to the Almshouses.
  • 2010 In February, Smithson's farm buildings were demolished, on Abbey Road.
  • 2010 On 1st February, a new Bardney Heritage Group was formed. The aims are: To research, develop and record the history of Bardney, and surrounding area, for the benefit of all.
  • 2011 The Bardney Heritage Group joined up with Bardney Heritage Centre and the Jews Court Trust to carry out a community dig on Bardney Abbey - part of the Refectory. Funding was obtained from the Heritage Lottery Fund.The dig started on June 14th 2011 and was named Bardney Abbey Revealed.
  • 2011 A permanent xmas tree was planted on the Village Green, dedicated to the late Marjorie Woodcock. A service and dedication ceremony was held on 10th December.
  • 2012 May Whitsun Bank Holiday - a 40-year celebration of Bardney Pop Festival was held at Bardney Heritage Centre.
  • 2012 On 13th October, a display of Bardney Abbey carved stones was formally put on display in St. Lawrence's church. It was designed by James Thomas of Lincoln University, co-ordinated by the Jews' Court and Bardney Abbey Trust and sponsored by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Lincolnshire Cooperative. The display uses a number stones originally excavated during 1914-19, by the Reverend Laing and his team.
  • 2013 The Bardney Abbey Revealed 2011 project closed with a book launch - a diary of the excavation. It was held in the Methodist Hall.
  • 2013 On 1st November, Bardney Billiard Club sold its premises and moved to Horsington Snooker Club.