Bardney Airfield

  • Bardney airfield was situated four miles south of Wragby to the east of the B1202 road and to the north-east of Bardney village beyond Scotgrove Wood.
  • 1942 - 1944 The airfield was constructed by William Moss & Sons, who was the main contractor.
  • 1942 Construction began on a Class A design. The runways were the main 07-25 at 2,000 yards and subsidiaries, 02-20 and 12-30, at 1,400 yards. The hard-standings were 36 pan-type although one was lost due to the erection of a B1 hangar just south of runway head 30.
  • Further west on the technical site between runways 02 and 30 was a T2 hangar, and another T2 was positioned on the west side of the airfield between runway heads 07 and 12.
  • The bomb stores were off the north-east side between runway heads 20 and 25. Seven domestic, two WAAF, two communal and a sick quarters site made up the dispersed camp to the south between New Park Wood and Birt Hill.
    Plan of airfield

    Plan of Airfield

  • Total accommodation was stated as 1,947 males and 401 females.
  • 1943 Bardney opened as a satellite to Waddington in April and it received No. 9 Squadron with its Lancasters on the l3th and l4th of the month from that station. This veteran unit remained at Bardney for the duration of hostilities.
  • All 9 Squadron Lancasters were prefixed with the letters WS.
  • 1944 In late September, the USAAF transferred a number of airfields, in the Grantham/Newark areas, back to the RAF and Bomber Command took the opportunity to expand its strength.
  • In early October, No. 9 Squadron provided personnel for a flight of the re-formed No. 227 Squadron, which was soon moved to Balderton. No. 9 then went on to provide for the newly-established No. 189 Squadron which flew its first raid the night of November 1/2, being moved to the vacant airfield at Fulbeck the next day.
  • At this time the main body of No. 9 Squadron had become a specialist unit using the l2,000lb Tallboy bombs for precision daylight attacks, one of only two squadrons to do so.
  • During one of these raids, when the Dortmund-Ems canal was the target, the aircraft in which Flight Sergeant George Thompson was acting wireless operator was crippled by anti-aircraft fire. In going 'to the aid of two unconscious and disabled crew members, Thompson was badly burned and he died in hospital three weeks later. His action brought the posthumous award of a Victoria Cross.
  • 1945. During April, No. 189 Squadron returned to Bardney to carry out its final sorties. No. 9 Squadron, which lost 85 Lancasters during operations from the airfield, moved back to permanent accommodation at Waddington in July 1945, while No. 189 was transferred to Metheringham in October.
  • Bardney was then on care and maintenance until later in the year when it was handed over to the Army. During the following decade, its runways could be seen lined with almost every conceivable type of military vehicle, many of which were disposed of at auction.
  • During 1956, a local flying group (Lincoln Aero Club) took over the runways and control tower until 1958. The control tower was converted into a clubhouse. The Aero Club then moved to Kirton Lindsey, until 1967, and then Hemswell, until 1975.
  • 1959 A Thor missile site was built on the airfield, named Project Emily. The operating unit being No. 106 Squadron, but, as with other Thor sites, it was disbanded four years later.
  • Thereafter the airfield was disposed of, but all three hangars were retained as well as several of the larger buildings on the technical site. The former flying area is now solely taken up with agriculture.
Bardney Fliers logo

Photo by Dave Miles 2012

Bardney Flyers Model Club logo

  • In 1996, Bardney Flyers Model Club started to use the same facilities for flying model airfcraft.
Control Tower

Photo byDave Miles 2012

Control Tower 2012