Bardney Almshouses

Bardney Almshouses

Bardney Almshouses

• The Almshouses were built by Peter Hancock in 1712.
  • It is known locally as Hancock's Hospital.
  • Originally the building consisted of seven rooms with seven chambers over them, to house the poor of the village, under the following conditions:
  • (Quote) ……“upon the green in Bardney, next my garden wall according to a model thereof hereunto annexed. Wherein shall be placed seven poor men and seven poor women, each of which shall have one low room or a chamber to be taken and chosen out of the poor of Bardney aforesaid, from time to time, for ever.  And there shall be paid to each of the said poor people weekly for ever, one shilling, and every one of them shall have a gowne, or a coat of grey cloth, upon the anniversary of my death day, next after the placing them in the said almshouses. The said Almshouses are to be kept in a good state of repair. And I give £10 per annum for ever to be paid to the Vicar or minister of Bardney and his successors for celebrating divine service according to the form established in the Church of England every Wednesday in the forenoon”……(Unquote)
  • At some point they were converted into four dwellings.
  • 1966 They were given a Grade II Listing on 30th November.