Bardney Pinfold

The Pinfold

Photo by Tony Green 1996

The Pinfold

  • A Pinfold was a fenced area, where stray farm animals, wandering around the village, were detained.
  • In medieval times, when there were few fences, animals grazed on the common or on a few selected fields which were fallow or just harvested.
  • The person who was in charge of the pinfold, was called the Pinder or Pounder. His job was to round up the stray cattle and put them in the pinfold so the owners could pay a fine to retrieve them.
  • This was not a job for the faint-hearted, as owners would break into the Pinfold to regain them to avoid the fine.
  • Previous Pinders included Mr Fowler and Mr Ellis.
  • The last Pinder for Bardney was Mr. S. Horsewood who was appointed in 1909. At the time the fee to retrieve animals was:
  • Six pence (6d) per head for beast, three pence (3d)  for pigs and two pence (2d) for sheep.
  • Mr Horsewood lived on Wragby Road and then moved into the Alms House where he died on 3rd May 1936.
  • A thatched Pinder's cottage used to exist, adjacent to the compound, appropriately named 'Pinfold House'.
  • The pinfold was the responsibility of the Manor, later the Vestry and was taken over by the Parish Council at its formation in 1895.
  • It was easily defined for hundreds of years as it was kept fenced and in good repair.
  • In 1895 the Parish Council exchanged 59 square yards of the pinfold with the Angel Inn, who were to forfeit several yards of their frontage, in a road widening scheme.
  • Then came the demolition of the Angel stables and the pinfold fence disappeared.
  • The Parish Council, who had been talking about the need for a public convenience decided to build on the site this in 1964.
  • This had a comparatively short life and was decided to demolish it, due to vandalism, and it became difficult to distinguish the pinfold from the car park.
  • As the Parish Council gave the pinfold land to the County Council, to build the toilets on and when they had been demolished the pinfold, it became open land, which the Angel Inn brewery tried to reclaim it back.
  • After many years of discussion the Parish Council got the land back for the parish.
  • The pinfold was once again fenced in 1995 by the Parish Council.
  • In 1999 the pinfold village map was unveiled at 11 o’clock, on the morning of 27th August. A small number of people attended.
  • During 2002, the pinfold history information sign was erected on 22nd August.