A Brief History

The Hall is situated in the centre of the village and is very much at the heart of community life.  It was built opposite St Bartholomew’s Church as the Church Mission.  The foundation stone that was laid by the Countess of Yarborough in 1897 can still be seen.  

Extensions were made over the years, for example Miss Elizabeth Dawson made a bequest enabling the second phase of building work to be carried out.  Eventually it became known as the Church Institute.  Interestingly, there was self-contained accommodation for the Caretaker within the property and that is still in daily use, though now for a different purpose!  

Ownership of the building was transferred to the Keelby Village Hall Trustees in 1982 and a Committee of Management (the Village Hall Committee) was established at the same time, however strong links are maintained with the Church.  As the photographs show, this is a very special building and indeed, in 1985, it was listed as a Grade II property.  More recently, in 2000 and following extensive refurbishment, Community Lincs named it as being the Best Kept Village Hall in Lincolnshire! 

Our building is presently undergoing a further programme of modernisation and upgrade, responding to the changing expectations and requirements of users.  Keelby Village Hall also had the distinction of being the first community building in West Lindsey to be enabled for wireless broadband by the District Council.